Destiny has a variety of events that change over time (in real time): some are daily, some are weekly. This article will focus on the constant cycle of Public Events.
First Event Each Day
Your first gold score in a Public Event each day (on each character) rewards you with some Ascendant materials. If you’re hunting for Public Events, have your friends split up and spread out. You can then have everyone join a Fireteam when you locate one.
When you’re out in the world on Patrols, following the schedule at this site, you can find Chests, Materials, and Patrol Beacons and of course Public Events.
Destinypublicevents.com will not only show you when they’re coming, but also where they are and how to get there.
Public Event Types
- Defeat Extraction Crews – Defeat three waves of enemies before time runs out to deactivate the Glimmer Drill.
- Defend the Warsat – Have your Ghost scan the warsat; the more Guardians that stand near it, the faster it can download the data. Defend yourself from waves of enemy reinforcements.
- Defeat the Devil Walker – Destroy a Devil Walker before time runs out.
- Kill an Enemy – A powerful enemy will appear. Defeat them before they reach a checkpoint; this will require heavy firepower from several players.
- Prevent Vex Sacrifices – Your mission is to defend this conflux as Vex Goblins, Hobgoblins, Harpies, and Minotaur approach.
Sometimes instead of a Public Event, you’ll receive the message “The enemy is moving against each other,” and a large group of enemies will start fighting. Fighting in this event does not reward you with any bonus experience.