Full weekly update @ Bungie.net
Did you miss the show? Here’s a recap of the entire happening:
This just in from the Design Team: Legendary Gear obtained from Sterling Treasure boxes will dismantle into Chroma – not Legendary Marks.
— Bungie (@Bungie) March 31, 2016
- The April Update will provide new Armor and Weapons for your Guardian
- Chroma is a new material that enables you to add a luminous glow to your character
- Sterling Treasure boxes are a source of new Armor, Chroma, Ships, Sparrows, and Boosts
- You can earn a total of three Sterling Treasure boxes each week
- Play one weekly Crucible match featured in the Director
- Emerge triumphant from the Level 41 Prison of Elders
- Visit a Postmaster in the Tower or the Reef
- Eververse has Sterling Treasure boxes, too, along with new Emotes for your Guardian
- Vault Space is being expanded with one additional tab for Armor, Weapons, and General items
- Some popular Year One Legendary Weapons are making a comeback in Year Two
- Chroma can be added to Weapons allowing you to customize the look of your gun for the first time
- There is also a Taken Sword. And it’s pretty wicked…
The Reef is the center of the action in the April Update, but it’s a little dark for a proper fashion show. Here are the new spring lines in all their luminous glory.
Dead Orbit Chroma-Compatible
New Monarchy Chroma-Compatible
Future War Cult Chroma-Compatible
“They are Taken…” –Eris Morn
You can mix and match armor pieces and Chroma materials to create a unique look that’s the perfect complement to your sparkling personality.
Correction: Mentioned on stream, but not actually true:
- “Year One Legendary Weapons will drop from Legendary Engrams…”
- In reality, Year One Legendary Weapons come from Vanguard/Crucible reward packages
- Level up with the Quartermasters for a chance to gain a Year One Legendary with up to 330 Light
- Reputations gains have increased greatly in Strikes, the Crucible, and Prison Of Elders
- The Devil You Know
- Shadow Price
- LDR 5001
- Badger CCL
- The Comedian
- THE SWARM
- Y-09 Longbow Synthesis
- Grim Citizen III
- Two to the Morgue
- Zombie Apocalypse WF47
- The Saterienne Rapier
Some of your favorite Exotics are making a comeback, too!
Mark your calendars. We have one more preview planned:
April Update Preview: Sandbox & Crucible Updates
Wednesday, April 6th – 11AM Pacific
Guardian fashions are not the only things about to change. Sub-Classes can change. Weapons can change. Special Ammo can change? Stay tuned to find out.
It’s the Question That Drives Us
Datto: In last week’s stream, Variks was no longer selling Ships and Shaders from Year One. Will people still be able to get these after the April Update? Or are they gone forever?
They’re not gone forever. You’ll find them in reward packages that you earn when you achieve a new rank with the House of Judgement. Please Variks to earn his old wares. Yesssss?
Datto: Does the Taken/Spektar gear that is obtained from the Sterling Treasure boxes feature randomly-rolled bonuses? Or are the bonuses the same every single time?
Like any of the Legendary items that you earn in Destiny, the new Armor will draw perks at random from a pool of potential attributes. This includes the Intellect, Discipline, and Strength ratings, as well as the talent nodes. Regardless of the bonuses, Armor acquired from Sterling Treasure boxes will always start at 3 Light. You’ll need to earn Infusion-fuel in the form of higher-level gear from the playable Activities that grant those rewards.
Datto: Are Exotics also lossless with regards to the new Infusion system?
Short Answer: Yes.
Longer Answer: Infusion works the same way wherever the node can be found. In the April Update, the stronger item applies its full strength to the weaker item. Thus, a 3 Helmet becomes a 335 Helmet, as we’re no longer splitting the difference.
Datto: If I have a Year One Legendary weapon that is “returning” to Year Two, will I be able to Infuse the Year One version?
Short Answer: No.
Longer Answer: Bringing selected favorites from the Year One Legendary arsenal forward into Year Two isn’t like upgrading an Exotic Weapon in your collections kiosk. You’ll need to earn the Year Two versions of Legendary Weapons again, this time from the reward packages that are granted when you rank up with the Vanguard or Crucible Quartermasters.
Datto: You obtained the Spektar Hood, but you also had the Spektar INFINITE Hood. Is there any significant difference?
You might be thinking “Duh, Datto, if you just scroll up, you’ll clearly see that “Infinite” is the Chroma-compatible line for Future War Cult.” The thing is, this question motivated me to post images of all the separate gear sets, clearly marked to indicate their Faction affiliations.
Some accessories (like cowboy hats or black shades) are eternal. Other accessories (like Trials of Osiris emblems) go out of style after a season. They pass into the realm of “vintage.”
Fair Warning: You have several more weeks to earn this:
Trials of Osiris isn’t going anywhere. The April Update will feature a new emblem for you to earn through combat excellence under the supervision of the esteemed Brother Vance. If you’re a collector with an incomplete collection, get out there and fight the good fight.
Tomorrow (Friday) at 10AM Pacific, hostilities resume on [map name withheld by Crucible Design Team].
Did you see our announcement about the new and improved Destiny Companion?
Check out the new features, and the new devices we’re supporting. Guardians are always eager to upgrade their gear. The mobile dev team loves you for that!