Contributing Author: Alex R.
#1 or #3 – SUROS ARI-41
- Hammer Forged / Oiled Frame | Snapshot / Rifled Barrel | Rangefinder
- High Caliber Rounds / Casket Mag | Single Point Sling / Injection Mold | Partial Refund
- Fitted Stock / Oiled Frame | Single Point Sling / Reinforced Barrel | Counterbalance
These boosts, combined with the gun’s base 68 stability, will make for an extremely proficient stat blend that is perfect for roasting anyone with a lesser roll in PvP.
#3 – SUROS ARI-45
- Perfect Balance / Appended Magazine | Lightweight / Injection Mold | Take a Knee
- Fitted Stock / Feather Mag | Speed Reload / Reinforced Barrel | Outlaw
- Hammer Forged / Appended Magazine | Speed Reload / Rifled Barrel | Hidden Hand
The high impact / low rate of fire Auto Rifles briefly seemed like they might shine, but my recent review of use statistics haven’t borne that out. They’re better than they were, but still don’t see much play. My pick today is roll 3, and you have spec it out any way you like. I’d recommend Appended Mag and Rifled Barrel. All you need to do after that is find an enemy’s head and all the aim assist should make it very easy to stay on target.
#2 – SUROS PDX-41
- High Caliber Rounds/Casket Mag | Private Eye | Single Point Sling/Reinforced Barrel
- Perfect Balance/Oiled Frame | Outlaw | Single Point Sling/Smallbore
- Fitted Stock/Casket Mag | Rodeo | Lightweight/Injection Mold
Insane stability from Perfect Balance and Smallbore, plus that nice little Range bump make this a solid combination. The scopes aren’t quite what I look for (I only look for the SPO-28 to be honest), but they are functional. And Outlaw will be very helpful with Smallbore’s ammo and reload penalties in play. The key thing here is to remember that this is a mid-long range weapon, so don’t expect to go up against Doctrine, The Last Word, or Hawksaw in a short range fight and win.
#2? – SUROS PDX-45
- High Caliber Rounds/Oiled Frame | Outlaw | Lightweight/Reinforced Barrel
- Hammer Forged/Casket Mag | Zen Moment | Speed Reload/Injection Mold
- High Caliber Rounds/Oiled Frame | Icarus | Snapshot/Reinforced Barrel
Don’t take a subpar roll on this one, Guardians – it drops amazing perk combos every couple of weeks, so trust me when I say your patience will be rewarded! Look out for a Counterbalance roll in coming weeks.
#1 – Uzume RR4
- Snapshot / Casket Mag | Battle Runner / Mulligan
- Firefly | Snapshot / Handlaid Stock | Replinish / Eye of the Storm
- Luck in the Chamber| Snapshot/ Injection Mold| Battle Runner \ Mulligan
There isn’t much to see here, but overall roll #1 seems to be the best bet with its low-zoom scope and decent PvE setup. Firefly and Mulligan are pretty useful in strikes, and the handling increase from Snapshot can’t hurt. While this isn’t the perfect roll, the Uzume isn’t often associated with amazing PvP performance, and this roll hits some of the high points of PvE QoL perks.
SUROS DIS-47: Roll 3 for headshots
- Hammer Forged/Oiled Frame | Outlaw | Snapshot/Smallbore
There were some other solid rolls here too, but I just couldn’t take my eyes of this one. My DIS-47 has done some good work for me the last couple weeks, but dang…it’s massive Range and Stability stat bars like this that just reinforce that fear of missing out. Yes, Smallbore penalizes your ammo and reload speed, but Outlaw easily makes up for it, and if you’re not landing headshots with this gun, there’s a fair chance you’re too dead to reload anyway.
Arminius-D: Roll 3 if you can’t wait
- Surrounded | Counterbalance | Snapshot/Fitted Stock/Smallbore
GA Post is a totally functional scope, but I find the LC Ranged very difficult to use on this gun. Also, Surrounded is…surrounded. But I can’t pass up mentioning a Counterbalance / Smallbore roll on this gun. If you have a package to spare and haven’t given the Arminius a fair shake, now’s the time. If you want perfection, keep on keeping on.
Kumakatok HC4: Roll 1 for PVE
- Grenadier | Extended Mag/Reinforced Barrel | Triple Tap/Underdog
Reinforced Barrel gives you that mandatory Range boost all hand cannons need these days to be meaningful in the Crucible, and Underdog has value there, too. For PVE, we stand out even more, since Triple Tap plus Extended Mag means 3-4 extra rounds per mag depending on your aim. Grenadier’s pretty nice out there in the world, too.
SUROS JLB-47: Roll 1 for Trials
- Heavy Payload/Flared Magwell | Grenades and Horseshoes | Javelin/Quickdraw (Solar)
I think everyone’s seen the 1000 SGA’s about this one already, but I’d be remiss not to say, OMG U GUYZ, LUK! Seriously though, look at it. It’s beautiful!
Cocytus SR4: Roll 3 for PVE
- Triple Tap | Extended Mag/Rifled Barrel | Grenadier/Surrounded
Triple Tap and Extended Mag give you all the ammos, which is all this gun needs to melt adds in PVE. It’s perfect for putting DPS on majors at range. And while there’s no Firefly, Grenadier still gives you 10% more Explosions per square inch than the base model.
Gaheris-D: Roll 1 for quick swaps
- Hot Swap | Reactive Reload | Speed Reload / Armor Piercing Rounds / Reinforced Barrel
Reinforced Barrel is the key here, as ever. Hot Swap is also handy if you remember to take advantage of it, providing a solid accuracy boost. Finally, I’d preference Rangefinder over Reactive Reload for that extra effective range, but extra damage isn’t a bad thing.
SUROS DIS-43: Roll 1 for laser beams
- Perfect Balance / Oiled Frame | Rangefinder | Speed Reload / Injection Mold
SUROS has the best perk tables – there are so many ways to get a great gun! I wouldn’t blame you for taking the HLS roll instead, but the combo of Injection Mold and Perfect Balance just shores up all the right weak points while still leaving you with so much range it’s coming out of your ears.
For Sale This Week
PVP Rating: A
Mid rate of fire Auto Rifles have turned out to be a surprise hit, so far as I can see – Haakon’s Hatchet is one of the most popular guns in the Crucible right now, making top 10 lists (as a percentage of kills) across most game modes. Some of that is availability, no doubt, but they are also very adaptable weapons. If you like Haakon’s, I strongly recommend grabbing this package. Suros has the best PVP perks in the business, with so many awesome combinations possible it’s almost pointless to declare any setup a “god roll” – just keep your eyes peeled for a setup that fits your play style.
PVP Rating: B
High Rate of Fire Hand Cannons looks so amazing on paper, but they are just terribly hard to find success with due to the awful “bloom” that affects follow up shots on all hand cannons right now. The RoF is essentially meaningless since you have to pace your shots, meaning you might as well go with the far more reliable mid Rate of Fire category (examples including Omolon’s Uffern HC4 and Hakke’s Gaheris-D). Even the low RoF high Impact category is better at landing shots (and every shot counts for a lot, too). The Kumakatok can still be effective up close but it’s much too unforgiving for anyone unwilling to dedicate themselves to mastering it.
PVP Rating: C
The Herja-D had it’s day, when Pulse Rifles were amazing and it could 2-burst kill with low but detectable reliability, but that day is long far gone. Give this one a pass, Guardians.
PVP Rating: S-A
Statwise, this is a perfect Rocket Launcher. As perk tables go, it’s second tier. As base Inventory ratings go, it’s bottom of the barrel – you’ll only get 2 rockets puer Heavy brick unless you have a Rocket ammo chestpiece. All-in-all, it’s still one of the better Rocket launchers in the game for PVP, and especially for Elimination where the 2 rocket problem isn’t a problem 90% of the time.
PVP Rating: C
This is the same weapon as the Strongbow-D, except this one only has 3 rounds in the mag instead of 5. So you can get to that Final Round faster, but that’s really it. I have never recommended this weapon, and I still don’t.