Contributing Author: Alex R.
#2 – SUROS DIS-43
- Hammer Forged / Feather Mag | Hip Fire | Speed Reload / Rifled Barrel
- Perfect Balance / Oiled Frame | Full Auto | Lightweight / Injection Mold
- Fitted Stock / Casket Mag | Partial Refund | Lightweight / Reinforced Barrel
Full Auto and a boatload of stability! Plus, the handling bonus from Injection Mold will help make quick decisions in PvP. The DIS-43 has always been a solid choice, and this roll will set you in PvE at the very least. If you’re looking for something to give you a supreme edge in PvP, consider waiting things out until a roll with Hidden Hand comes by. Hidden Hand will practically headshot your enemies for you in the Crucible.
#2 – Lyudmila-D
- Glass Half Full | Spray and Play | Single Point Sling/Speed Reload/Reinforced Barrel
- Headseeker | Unflinching | Snapshot/Fitted Stock/Hand Laid Stock
- Danger Close | Rodeo | Single Point Sling/Speed Reload/Hand Laid Stock
There are a few rolls with decent PvE benefits, but the Lyudmila-D is way too clunky and slow to handle the fast pace of most PvE encounters. #2 is good for PvP, but Counterbalance would make it so much better.
Any – SUROS PDX-41
- Perfect Balance/Casket Mag | Rangefinder | Single Point Sling/Reinforced Barrel
- Fitted Stock/Oiled Frame | Unflinching | Lightweight/Smallbore
- Fitted Stock/Casket Mag | Outlaw | Single Point Sling/Smallbore
We have a clear winner here, folks, and it’s the roll with all the Range! SPO-28 boosts up that Aim Assist, while Rangefinder and Reinforced Barrel give you mad effective Range (and extreme accuracy throughout your burst and on follow-up shots, as a result). Perfect Balance perfectly counteracts the Stability penalty and leaves you with some impressive stats.
#1 or #3 – Tamar-D
- Outlaw | Performance Bonus | Perfect Balance/Quickdraw/Injection Mold
- Private Eye | Partial Refund | High Caliber Rounds/Quickdraw/Injection Mold
- Surplus | Who’s Next | High Caliber Rounds/Snapshot/Appended Magazine
If you’ve been playing Destiny recently, you’ve probably seen a lot of 0 in your special ammo slot. Surplus will help fix that! See a box of green on the ground? It’s gonna give you much more ammo than ever before. This also applies to your other guns, so even if you’re not using the Tamar-D itself, you’re still getting a benefit from Surplus. That’s about as good of a PvE Sniper Rifle as it gets.
Roll 1 is solid for PVP: Low zoom scope, Performance Bonus for extra ammo, and Quickdraw for handling, plus Outlaw on top of all that. If you’re looking for a mid-archetype Sniper this is a great find.
#1 or #3 – SUROS JLB-42
- Heavy Payload, Grenades and Horseshoes, Javelin
- Heavy Payload, Tracking, Javelin
What a great week! Pick up either of these rolls depending on your preference between Grenades and Horseshoes and Tracking. Logic would dictate to use Grenades and Horseshoes in PvP, where you won’t have as much time to set up tracking, and to use Tracking in PvE where you have more time but need a sure shot. I’d personally recommend #1 over anything else simply due to the Arc damage, which takes out some of the peskier enemies in PvE.
Notable Rolls from Other Weapons
Tuonela SR4: Any
- Rescue Mag; Lightweight/Hand Laid Stock; 3rd Eye/Exhumed
- Icarus; Snapshot/Casket Mag; 3rd Eye/Eye of the Storm
- Icarus; Snapshot/Hand Laid Stock; Zen Moment/Surrounded
Any of the Tuonela packages could be pretty solid, so if one catches your eye, just do it!
Aoife Rua-D: #2 for PVE
- Surplus – Who’s Next – High Caliber Rounds / Snapshot / Appended Magazine
Essentially a clone of Roll 3 from the Tamar-D, above, and good for all the same reasons.
Eirene RR4: #2 for PVP
- Performance Bonus | Single Point Sling/Hand-Laid Stock | Unflinching/Last Resort
The low zoom Faucon scope, Performance Bonus for ammo management (assuming you can land headshots), Unflinching, and your choice of Stability or swap/strafe speed – can’t say a word against it!
Gaheris-D: #3 for PVE
- Triple Tap – Who’s Next – Speed Reload/ Armor Piercing Rounds/Reinforced Barrel
Triple Tap and Who’s Next should keep you loaded and ready to fire, while Reinforced Barrel takes on the gargantuan task of minimizing your ghost bullets – if you love taking Hand Cannons into PVE, this is a pretty solid way to go.
Cocytus SR4: #3 for PVP
- Life Support; Quickdraw/Rifled Barrel; Grenadier/Eye of the Storm
Solid utility perks and accuracy boosts make this a lethal choice. Eye of the Storm kicks in every time you take damage, boosting your accuracy more as your health decreases to help you land clutch shots. Life Support kicks in if you take too much damage, speeding up your recovery, and Quickdraw makes sure you’re swapping to your close quarters weapon at a moment’s notice. All-in-all a great roll to pick up – and the package is right there if you think you can do better!
Next Week’s Orders
|Arminius-D||Auto Rifle||Lowest||AA (80)|
|Zarinaea-D||Auto Rifle||Medium||Reload (65)|
|SUROS DIS-47||Scout Rifle||Lowest||AA (74)|
|Cocytus SR4||Scout Rifle||Highest||Reload (59)|
|Uzume RR4||Sniper Rifle||Medium-Low||Reload (75)|
This Auto Rifle archetype has become extremely popular with the introduction of the Doctrine of Passing. Always effective in the close quarters game, there are no weapons in the Armsday stables that can melt your enemies quite as thoroughly as an Arminius at 20 paces.
Similar to Zhalo Supercell with balanced stats: stability, reload and AA are all around 60. We’ll want some more range next week, but a quicker reload could also make this gun fun in PvE.
The mid-RoF auto rifles are solid and very adaptable weapons, and this is no exception. It is a bit worse than high RoF Auto Rifles in close quarters, and a bit worse than low RoF Auto Rifles at mid-long range. So I guess if short-mid range is an area you need a gun for, buy this one.
Deadly so long as you’re landing your headshots, but punishing if you miss, the DIS-47 and it’s high RoF Scout Rifle ilk are perennial favorites in the Crucible for a reason – they work and they feel great doing it. Definitely worth a pick-up if you’ve never tried it, or if you used to love rolling with the NL Shadow but haven’t seen a good set of perks drop in Year 2.
Three pops to drop at any range – just make sure you land those crits, because the bodyshot damage is lackluster to put it kindly. This gun’s base stats are basically perfect for its role as a mid-long range head-crusher, so look for Omolon’s trademark utility perks to enhance your Crucible experience.
Sharing the impact/RoF class of the Eye of Sol, it packs way more base stability at 58. This is a great option for getting quick headshots or double tapping for body shot kills, but keep in mind that despite the new changes to revive sniping, you may still have trouble sniping people out of supers.
If low to no Aim Assist and the inability to kill through Overshields (or even two-shot max armor Guardians) appeals to you, this is the sniper for you! It also like long walks through the Cosmodrome, but detests putting DPS on Ultras or stationary vehicles, so set your expectations accordingly.